Conciliation Process

Where the parties do not resolve their differences through negotiation, sections 121 (interest disputes) and 123 (rights disputes) of the Police Services Act provides for the appointment of a conciliation officer.

A conciliation officer is an outside neutral who will assist the parties in resolving or reducing the number of outstanding issues which, if unresolved, may eventually be referred to arbitration.

In no case can the conciliator decide or bind the parties to any particular solution.

Interest Dispute Conciliation Application Form (PDF)

Rights Dispute Conciliation Application Form (PDF)

COVID-19 Pandemic:

The COVID-19 pandemic has caused the Commission to re-examine and revise the way conciliations are conducted in the interim. Please see the attachment below for further detail;

COVID-19 OPAC Video Conferencing Conciliation Proceedings (PDF)

Conciliation Officer Report

The conciliation officer must report to the Solicitor General whether an agreement has been reached or not.